Thailand: Khao Lom Muak: Before You Go

Get ready to work for your view—Khao Lom Muak is 990 feet tall! The climb starts with stairs and then becomes a steep rocky trail that is zig-zagged with large static ropes to aid your upward progress and the long slippery descent. Because of the difficult terrain, the military posts soldiers at different points along the trail to give a … Read More

Thailand: A Deadly Combination – Durian and Alcohol

There is a Thai belief that you should not eat durian and drink alcohol together—they often believe the combination can kill you. I thought that this was crazy, and started to do some research into the science, fully expecting that this belief was bogus. Lo and behold! There is actually some truth to this belief, and the science to back … Read More

Thailand: DON’T cut that hair!

I’m walking up the driveway and see Pancake sweeping the porch. I call out to her. I am hot, sweating, and marginally “hangry”, irritated that my plan for the afternoon has been thwarted. “Hey, Pancake! I just walked all over town, and every barbershop is closed. What, why? I just wanted to get a quick trim, my ends are long.” … Read More

Thailand: A Script in Flux

The Thai writing system was introduced in 1283, by King Ramkamhaeng, in the Sukhothai era. The script has undergone very little change since its introduction—until now. It is fascinating to study, but fashions in writing styles change, and currently, new forms of a more “modern” Thai script are being introduced into the culture. That characteristic small circular terminal is beginning … Read More

Thailand: Thai Writing System

The Thai written script is awe-inspiring from an artistic standpoint, filled with elegant characters. Once you learn to spot Thai script, it is very easy to distinguish from other Asian writing forms because of the small circular stroke terminals on many of the symbols. That is its most characteristic feature, and a truly beautiful quality. More on this later, though… … Read More

Thailand: Thai Language

There are an estimated 50 million Thai speakers worldwide. 85% of this population lives in Thailand, while the remaining 15% is found in smaller communities spread around the world. Sometimes referred to as Siamese, it is considered part of the Tai language family, which also includes Lao, the national language of Laos, the Shan language from Myanmar, and Zhuan, a … Read More

Thailand: Wat Pho: What You Need To Know

This week, let’s dive into the nitty-gritty of what you need to know to get the most from your visit. A FEW THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT WAT PHOConnector.Dress AppropriatelyOf course, being a temple, make sure you are dressed respectably, with shoulders and knees covered, wearing shoes that can easily slip on and off. Of course, being a temple, make … Read More

Thailand: Wat Pho

The city’s largest reclining Buddha, measuring 150 feet long. The largest collection of Buddha images in Thailand—over a thousand. The national headquarters for the teaching and preservation of traditional Thai medicine—including Thai massage.I recommend that if you are going to visit any temple in Bangkok, let this be the one. I recommend that if you are going to visit any … Read More

Thailand: The Bathroom Talk

Now, you should be warned, I am not afraid to get real with you on this blog. My mission is to give you an in-depth look at Thai life, and in this case, address one of the most frequent questions I get the first time someone’s “gotta go”: How does this work? What do I do? In the US, it’s … Read More

Thailand: Songkran

You know those moments when you feel as though you are watching a perfect scene from a movie? The light is golden, the overwhelming noise seems to fade, and you get to watch a moment so exquisite, it is like you are experiencing it in slow motion. The sun is setting, though the day is still hot. I watch a … Read More